Keep cool in a heat wave
Bondi usually sizzles in summer, but today’s temp is out of the ordinary. If the
mercury hits the expected top of 43 degrees today it will be the third hottest day
ever recorded in Sydney.
Cooling off with a quick swim at the beach might be good idea, but you actually
don’t want to be outdoors much at all. It’s just not comfortable and also puts you
at risk of heat exhaustion and heat cramps. It's too hot today - even for the beach!
Some tips for staying cool in a heat wave:
• Stay out of the sun between 11am and 6pm, if you can.
• Drink lots of water (avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks as these will
dehydrate you further).
• If your accommodation is too hot then head to the cinema, Bondi shopping centres, the library, or somewhere with air con.
• Wear loose fitting clothes
• Eat light meals like this watermelon salad
Your Bondi Summer Oasis - Where to Chill Out in Bondi
Bondi really knows how to celebrate summer with outdoor parties, festivals, Christmas parties, house parties, and NYE celebrations.
It’s nice to know about the little oases around Bondi perfect for re-charging, centering and chilling out during your downtime.
Here are some hidden treasures...
1. Unwind inside a beautiful books store/cafe with wall to wall books and delicious café fare - Gertrude and Alice bookstore café on Hall St,
2. Bring a book and hide away from the sun under shady trees on the North and South end of the Bondi Beach,
3. Head into the quiet lobby of Swiss Grand hotel and order up lattes while relaxing on comfy couches and watching the international jet-setters pass by.
4. Take a yoga class at any of the following places, Dharma Shala, Finding Lotus or Yoga By The Sea - all are guaranteed to chill you out!
Don't get burnt in Bondi
One of the first things many people notice when they land in Australia is how harsh the sun feels. The Australian sun is one of the harshest in the world. Intense UV radiation passes through the atmosphere and lands bang right here in Bondi. This UV radiation is harmful to you because causes sunburn and skin cancer. UV radiation can be strong even on cool, grey and overcast days.
This post is a bit lecture-some, we know - but we see far too many sunburnt travelers lining up at chemists and filling doctor's surgeries each summer. They aren't idiots, they just underestimate how harsh the sun is. We also know a bit about the real costs of a 'healthy glow'. If you need convincing about how important sun safety is watch this video.
Did you know? Water magnifies the sun's harmful rays. If you feel you've had enough sun move indoors, not into the water. Also, remember to re-apply sunblock after swimming.
Being sunburnt can be a real hassle. It messes with your plans and can make your holiday a real pain.
Things you won’t be able to do sunburnt.
- Go back in the sun. You will want to find somewhere in indoors to hang out.
- Sleep well. Those sheets you’ve been sleeping in will suddenly feel more like sandpaper.
- Wear perfumes or deodorants with alcohol in them. Youch!
- Shave. Youch!
- Get a massage.
- Do anything really active. Your skin feels really hot and you feel like resting a lot.
- Snorkel or swim outdoors (the water magnifies the sun)
- Look your best. Your skin will peel off,
- Have a conversation without someone saying ‘oh god, you’re really burnt’.
- Drink alcohol. Due to the time spent in the sun you body will likely become dehydrated. It makes you feel really horrible and foggy. Vibe killer.
Be sun smart and keep your memories sweet!
Your photos on the My Bondi Summer Blog!
Take a photo of you and your friends being sun safe - think cute hats, sunnies, or even chilling out in the shade and send them in! The best shots will be published on the My Bondi Summer blog! Email email@example.com
Christmas Day in Bondi Beach
Your best Bondi summer nights out....
Summer is here and this means long days and warm balmy nights - the perfect setting to party with friends, lovers and others.
Summer in Bondi means dancing till the wee hours of the morning, summer love, late night adventures and beautiful starry sky nights. If you've just landed in Bondi your summer night memories are just waiting to happen - we want you to make this the best summer of your life!